Glucomannan is in a rather special dietary supplement category. As a soluble fiber, it doesn’t sound exceptionally different to many other sources of similar material. However, since its discovery and subsequent involvement in many scientific studies it has been found to have significant effects related to weight loss and cholesterol reduction.
Supplements that contain Glucomannan are marketed primarily for their appetite reduction effects on the user. As a soluble fiber, it absorbs water on contact and swells as a mass. When this happens in the user’s stomach, it can simulate a comfortably full feeling, this reducing their appetite for more food. It can be used as an emulsifier and thickener, and is also added to some food products for these purposes.
Powerful Fat Burner with Glucomannan – Winning Combination
Our favourite weight management supplement which contains Glucomannan is actually a fat-burner and energy booster as well. Instant Knockout may look a little different to products like Lipozene, but it’s arguably a stronger diet pill due to all the additional ingredients it contains to help you shed fat.
What Is Glucomannan?
Chemically speaking, Glucomannan is a polymer (chain) consisting of basic sugars Glucose and Mannose, hence the name. There is some branching from the straight-chain of other smaller chains, which is how the structure reacts with water to produce the gelling action.
There are several places in nature that glucomannan can be found. It constitutes a large portion of the the root of the konjac plant (Amorphophallus Konjac) found in sub-tropical and tropical Asia. This is the major source for dietary supplements, although certain other flowers, plants, trees and even the membranes of some yeast and bacteria have glucomannan in them.
What does Glucomannan Do?
A single gram of Glucomannan can absorb up to 200ml of water, which is why it is often included in dietary supplements at smaller quantities than that.
Of course it forms a gel like substance when it absorbs water outside the body as well, and can be used for several different end uses (see other uses below).
Dietary and Health Supplements
You may have seen one particular brand of supplement on the television, in magazines and papers which contains only Gucomannan from Amorphophallus Konjac. The company claims to have sold over 20 million bottles of the product.
[note]In our experience, Glucomannan works even better in conjunction with other fat-burning and weight loss ingredients, incorporates as part of a recipe rather than being the entire supplement.[/note]
Total cholesterol has been shown to reduce with Glucomannan use. Blood glucose levels and insulin sensitivity may be better regulated which could help management and prevention of Type 2 diabetes.
Other Uses of Glucomannan
Glucomannan has been found to significantly reduce the symptoms of constipation.
The fiber has been used in candy, jelly, shirataki noodles and as an additive in vegan food products.
Studies have shown that glucomannan exhibits properties which could make it useful as a wound healing dressing and drug delivery vehicle.
Side Effects / Safety
Due to its highly thickening nature, it is important that the user drinks plenty of water with Glucomannan as there have been reports that some sweets made with the fiber have caused choking hazards.
This problem is well known now and manufacturers of glucomannan products adjust the size and packaging in order to remove most of the risk. In pill form – in weight loss supplements – there is very little risk as the pill is swallowed straight to the stomach.
If you follow the instructions on any packaging and make sure you drink the advised amount of water, you will not experience any problems.
Conclusion and Recommendations
Glucomannan is an effective ingredient for fat loss objectives, especially when incorporated as part of a more comprehensive fat-burning blend.
500mg of glucomannan appears to be an effective volume. When taken as part of an all round healthy nutritional plan, you will maximize the results. Instant Knockout has that exact amount.
Instant Knockout is a quality fat-burner, energy booster and appetite suppressant all in one. It is available for worldwide delivery and is priced at special discounts for 2, 3 or 4 bottle purchases. Follow the link below to read our review.
Click here to read our review of Instant Knockout fat burner
1. Kardum N et al – Effects of glucomannan-enriched, aronia juice-based supplement on cellular antioxidant enzymes and membrane lipid status in subjects with abdominal obesity – 2014
2. Onakpoya I et al – The efficacy of glucomannan supplementation in overweight and obesity: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized clinical trials – 2014
3. Lyon MR et al – The effect of a novel viscous polysaccharide along with lifestyle changes on short-term weight loss and associated risk factors in overweight and obese adults: an observational retrospective clinical program analysis – 2010
4. Vasques CA et al – Evaluation of the pharmacotherapeutic efficacy of Garcinia cambogia plus Amorphophallus konjac for the treatment of obesity – 2008
5. Salas-Salvado J – et al – Effect of two doses of a mixture of soluble fibres on body weight and metabolic variables in overweight or obese patients: a randomised trial – 2008
6. Birketvedt GS et al – Experiences with three different fiber supplements in weight reduction – 2005
7. Woodgate DE et al – Effects of a stimulant-free dietary supplement on body weight and fat loss in obese adults: a six-week exploratory study – 2003
8. Galaher DD et al – A glucomannan and chitosan fiber supplement decreases plasma cholesterol and increases cholesterol excretion in overweight normocholesterolemic humans – 2002
9. Walsh DE et al – Effect of glucomannan on obese patients: a clinical study – 1984
10. Wang Y et al – Two natural glucomannan polymers, from Konjac and Bletilla, as bioactive materials for pharmaceutical applications – 2015
Be the first to comment