Thermo Speed Extreme sounds like the title of a video game, but is in fact a dietary supplement developed by the sports nutrition company Olimp. It’s a safe assumption that the product is a thermogenic fat-burner, formulated to help the loser shed some of the flab, improving on their results from calorie controlled dieting and exercise alone.
Thermogenesis is simply the production of heat within the cells of organisms, which can in turn increase energy output and the oxidation, or ‘burning’ of fat. As it is a natural process that occurs in the body anyway, the use of a thermogenic supplement can increase the effect.
Thermo Speed Extreme’s efficacy will mostly depend on the strength and type of the ingredients used in the blend. Let’s take a look at it.
Olimp Thermo Speed Extreme
The manufacturer confirms the product ‘supports thermogenesis’ and describes the product as ‘an aid in forming good shape’.
Not a company of many words, then. That’s not necessarily a bad thing, some companies write thousands of words of hyped-up marketing drivel to sell their product.
However, a little more description might have been welcome, if only to provide a reason to buy Olimp’s fat-burner over someone elses. There’s a balance to strike with the sales copy, that’s all we’re saying.
How Does It Work?
We’re left with the assumptions we made in the introduction to this review. This is a thermogenic fat-burner from top to bottom.
The ingredients are all regularly found in other thermogenic capsules. It’s a fairly simple recipe, the most interesting inclusion being L-Tyrosine which is at a dosage of 1000mg in 2 capsules.
The ingredients inside 1 capsule are as follows:
- Green Tea Extract: 250mg – the EGCG in green tea extracts is the most bio-active compound of the catechins found in a typical dose. These are part of a group of polyphenols, or antioxidants, which have a fat-burning effects as well as other health promoting qualities. The efficacy of this ingredient is dependent on the user’s habitual consumption of caffeine, i.e. caffeine tolerant individuals will not get as much of an effect.
- Citrus Aurantium extract: 167mg – the synephrine in citrus aurantium (aka bitter orange). The metabolism increase from the thermogenic action reduces fat stores; it has a similar action as ephedrine in that it can increase fat lipolysis (burning) and basal metabolic rate and might even increase the thermic effect of food though this needs further study.
- Guarana Extract: 91mg – an alternative source of caffeine to anhydrous.
- Caffeine Anhydrous: 80mg – the ubiquitous thermogenic fat-burner. Caffeine is most useful to the user when they are not habitual coffee drinkers (or other sources of caffeine). Read more about Caffeine
- Bioperine: 2.5mg – increases the bioavailability of the other compounds in the blend through increased absorption
- Tyrosine: 500mg – has a few nootropic qualities such as improving working memory, cognition, mood and reducing stress. Fat burning ability might come from its indirect elevation of adrenaline levels
Olimp suggest you take 1 capsule 30 minutes before breakfast and another 1 capsule 3 minutes before dinner.
Further to that we’d add that you might not want to take it within 5 hours of bed time as the stimulants might keep you awake, and of they aren’t having that effect then you are probably not getting the fat-burning effect either.
Olimp also say that this supplement is not a replacement for a balanced and varied diet, and a healthy (active) lifestyle. A supplement is an addition to all that, not an exchange.
What About Side Effects?
People not accustomed to stimulants might experience a few uncomfortable feelings of jitteriness and nervousness, possibly even headaches but for those that are worried about this, simply reduce the dose to start with and it will be much smoother.
Of course the effect won’t be as much but there’s no point putting yourself off them straight away.
For individuals who drink a lot of coffee, the desired results might not be very pronounced because the tolerance level to the stimulants will be too high.
In our opinion, it’s a decent product, but there are better available. It covers the basics of stimulant-based thermogenic formulation but that’s where it ends for us. In a sense, it doesn’t look like Olimp are trying to do anything except that with the product.
If you don’t drink much coffee or tea, you may get some use out of Thermo Speed Extreme, and at 25 euros for 120 capsules, it’s not a bad deal.
We like fat-burners that work on different levels and have greater depth to their efficacy. Also, you have to look at whether you’ll get results over a long term rather.
We have reviewed many products on this site and only recommend those that we think truly deserve to be.
1. Fernstrom JD, Fernstrom MH – Tyrosine, phenylalanine, and catecholamine synthesis and function in the brain – 2007
2. Haaz S et al – Citrus aurantium and synephrine alkaloids in the treatment of overweight and obesity: an update – 2006
3. Hursel R et al – The effects of green tea on weight loss and weight maintenance: a meta-analysis – 2009